As winter approaches, here’s what you can do to avoid those dry, cracked winter skin and bring back your skin’s natural moisture.
- Avoid taking scorching hot showers –hot water dries out your skin by stripping it of its natural oils
- Pat skin dry with a towel and apply a thick moisturiser within a few minutes after a lukewarm shower or bath to seal the water into the skin.
- Take care of your lips – apply a moisturising balm or petroleum jelly to help heal dry, cracked lips and prevent them from getting chapped
- Apply sunscreen – on bright winter days, snow reflects the sun’s rays, it’s important to apply sunscreen in the harsh winter weather as it is in the summer
- Eat right and stay hydrated – Go for foods that contain omega-3 or omega-6 fatty acids such as fish oil and flaxseed oil, walnuts, olive oil and avocados which helps the skin moisture from the outside. Drink an extra glass or 2 of water to prevent dryness
- Change out of wet clothes quickly – when wearing wet clothes and shoes your skin can get irritated and cause itchiness
- Gently scrub your skin – exfoliating helps open up pores and gets rid of dead dry skin cells
- Moisturising your skin is crucial for keeping it hydrated throughout the winter – Layering an oil on your face and body prior to a cream-based moisturiser will help trap in the hydration, prevent dry skin, help improve skin tone and texture, and help protect the outer layer of the skin from environmental factors